Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
One day you’re a soap opera star and the next your two best friends are an energetic 6’4” puppy and a crazy person that commissions skittles portraits of your face.
We all know exactly who this is.
I think the next fandom trend should be combining stock AUs. Imagine!:
- Cops AU plus Hogwarts AU equals Wizard Buddy Cops, subtext, and as many wand jokes as you can make
- A high school AU, only it’s high school in the future featuring space station hijinks and/or alien invasion, mixed in with serious concerns about who’s going with who to prom
- The coffee shop AU, liberally spiced up with interactions with a mirror world where the heroes become the villains and vice versa—and can the adorably dorky new barista figure out how to make the perfect latte art and keep her girlfriend from falling in love with her eviler, sexier doppelganger?
- Noir detective pirate AU, and the difficulties of solving gritty crime on the high seas
- Vampire Western AU, and the challenges of cattle rustling on the sunny plains of the wild west, and making sure that none of those damned suckers take out any of pa’s herd again!
- Prohibition-era speakeasy AU with fairy tale AU featuring the complications of being secretly magical and smuggling when you can’t actually lie
- Okay, coffee shop AU + ANYTHING is hilarious to me
- Regency coffee shop AU
- Vampire coffee shop AU (BARTENDING IN THE DARK)
- Gym rat vampire AU—getting pumped and drinking blood
- Mermaid college AU
I have always, ALWAYS wanted to write a Regency coffee shop AU. But like. With OCs.
No, but think about this. We’ve seen the Winter Soldier face Fury’s car.
Maybe he’s done the same with Howard. Maybe his hair wasn’t so long yet. Maybe he wasn’t wearing a mask. Maybe Howard saw his face in the headlights for just a second.
Maybe Howard and Maria died in a car crash. Maybe Howard swerved to not hit a ghost.
It’s very easy, just rehearse these phrases… and try use them with confidence in every conversation.
- Use “canonical” when you mean “usual” or “standard.” As in, “the canonical example of talking like a physicist is to use the word ‘canonical’.”
- Use “orthogonal” to refer to things that are mutually-exclusive or can’t coincide. “We keep playing phone tag — I think our schedules must be orthogonal”.
- “About” becomes “to a first-order approximation”.
- Things are not difficult, they are “non-trivial”.
- Large discrepancies are “orders of magnitude apart”.
- You’re not being lazy, you are in your “ground state”.
- A tiny amount is “vanishingly small” or “negligible”. Really small is “infinitesimal”.
- it’s not a wire, it’s a “conductor”.
- You aren’t overweight, you are “thermodynamically efficient”.
Page 1 of 288